How do you "register" with U.S. Customs? (off)

Subject: How do you "register" with U.S. Customs? (off)
From: jsokohl -at- CAMPBELLSOFT -dot- COM
Date: Tue, 6 May 1997 15:01:32 -0500

Based on recent comments re: going from U.S. to Canada for STC's
conference: Many people have advised registering major electornic
devices (laptops, cameras, overhead projecters, CD players,
multidimensional time converters) with U.S. Customs.

How does one do this? At the point of embarkation? Is there (usually)
a U.S. Customs office you would do this with before you leave? How
long does it take? Is it sufficient bringing proof of purchase?

I just bought a MessagePad 2000, and I wanna bring it with me--but you
guys have (almost) terrified me that it'll be confiscated by armed and
jackbooted border guards (bad mojo memories of being rousted by DDR
guards flash before my consciousness....).

Just curious....

joe
Joe Sokohl