Re: Good Guys, Bad Guys

Subject: Re: Good Guys, Bad Guys
From: Alexia Prendergast <alexiap -at- SEAGATESOFTWARE -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 5 May 1997 17:16:28 -0400

As someone who has been a contractor and hires contractors,
I'd feel more comfortable with the "delivery upon payment"
approach rather than the "pay up front" approach -- probably
because there have been a few occasions where I have not
gotten the quality of work I expected from my contractor.
However, waiting to tell the contractor until later is a
bunch of bull. I agree with "Hire a good lawyer." Any
dissatisfaction should be discussed up front, preferably
before the deliverable is due. Claiming dissatisfaction
months later is a classic "we don't want to cough up the
cash" maneuver.

Spell this stuff out in your contracts -- what the deliverable
is, when it's due, whether or not payment is due in net30, etc.
It's the best protection for both the contractor and the client.

Alexia
--
Alexia Prendergast
Senior Technical Writer