Re: Top Performer (Was: JOB POSTING: Technical Marketing Writer)

Subject: Re: Top Performer (Was: JOB POSTING: Technical Marketing Writer)
From: Phillip Wilkerson <phillipw -at- ALLENSYSGROUP -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 5 May 1997 15:19:34 -0400

First, Peter Brown <pbrown -at- MKS -dot- COM> quoted Stuart Burnfield):
> Stuart Burnfield wrote:
> > It would be interesting to turn it around at the interview and ask
> > "Is my future manager a 'top performer'? What is it that makes him/her
> > a top performer?"
> >
> > Cue mouth-flap-fluster.
> >
> > Of course if I were really looking for a job, perhaps I would not be
> > so brave.

Speaking strictly as a Tech Comm manager who worked (as a Top Performer)
through the ranks for nine years, I'd say Stuart's question (reworded of
course) is entirely fair. I would not personally want to work as a writer for a
manager who had never worked as a writer. Think about it. A manager who has
been a writer is going to understand the frustrations/challenges of being a
writer in the trenches. Look for a tech comm manager who can mentor you and
help you grow as a writer...a manager who is interested in helping you further
your career and will encourage you to participate in STC, conferences, etc.
Maybe an assertive way of posing the question would be: "How many years of
technical writing experience does my potential manager have?" Personally, if I
found myself interviewing for a writing position with a manager (to whom I will
be a direct report) who did not have hard technical writing experience, I'd be
wary of taking the job. The position might work out, but then again, it might
cause you lots of needless frustration and stress. There are going to be times
when you will need someone to whom you can turn with an especially thorny
writing problem. You're going to want someone on the other side of the desk who
can point you in the right direction, help you find answers, and who has dealt
with similar problems. You're also going to want a manager who will go to bat
for you to supply new hardware, software, etc., and who understands what can
and can't be done with the current set of tools you are given to work with.

In the recent issue of Intercom (May 97, p. 24) is an article on quality tech
comm managing. I shared the article with a writer on my staff who has a career
goal of someday being a tech comm manager. Not to brag, but the writer rated me
highly on all points. I attribute and credit my own success to the experience I
gained working under managers who themselves had been technical writers.

I would also encourage those who are looking for tech writer positions to ask
the potential manager specifically: "Are you willing to teach me what you know
about managing a tech comm group?"

Then, Peter Brown <pbrown -at- MKS -dot- COM> commented:
> Although I wouldn't recommend being that aggressive in turning the
> question toward the interviewer him/herself, something along those
> lines, but directed at the company, is certainly appropriate. Something
> like:
>
> "Now that I've been making a case for myself, how about some
> reciprocation? Tell me why I should want to work for your company. Why
> is it a good place to work?"

Again, that is certainly a fair question, and a technical writing
manager/company worth working for is going to welcome (and even expect) such
questions.

Phillip C. Wilkerson
Manager of Technical Communications
Allen Systems Group, Inc.