Re: A contracting season

Subject: Re: A contracting season
From: Debbie Molis <dmolis -at- EROLS -dot- COM>
Date: Sun, 4 May 1997 09:39:14 +0000

Yvonne asked whether people typically had more than one contract at a
time.

Sorry it's taken me so long to respond. I was busy finishing one
contract and it took me some time to get myself set up again.

Right now, I do have two contracts. Tuesday I will start an onsite,
full-time 6-8 month assignment. And just before I finished my last
onsite contract last Wed. I began a short-term offsite contract, also
full-time. I have my hands full for the next couple of weeks.

This is not typical, however. It was a chance happening.

To take more than one contract you pretty much have to work offsite at
least part of the time. I find, in the Wash., DC, area, that most
companies want you onsite, for 40 hours or more a week. Many times this
is because the work is sensitive, especially when dealing with
government contracts and proposals.

In fact, my offsite contract originally was to be an onsite assignment.
But my recruiter asked whether the company would allow me to work
primarily offsite, and the arrangement was approved.

As I say, though, that was chance. One colleague of mine, over time, has
offered to work offsite for several companies, so she could have more
than one contract. However, the companies routinely turn the offer down
and hire a contractor who can be onsite.

I think West Coast companies may be more open-minded when it comes to
allowing work to be done offsite, thus allowing writers to work on more
than one contract at a time. Am I correct in this assumption?

Debbie Molis
Technical Writer
dmolis -at- erols -dot- com