Re: Bad Lists

Subject: Re: Bad Lists
From: Kimberly Venegas <kjv4517 -at- GRIFFON -dot- MWSC -dot- EDU>
Date: Fri, 2 May 1997 21:53:25 -0500

Hi All!

> Florida is an example of a witch-burning state. For years, they have had a
> list of possible child-abusers. While on the surface, this sounds
> good--what's under the surface can be startling.
>
> If I, as your next-door neighbor, decide I want to hurt you, I can call the
> police and/or child support enforcement and say I saw you beating your kid.
> As of that minute, your name is on a list from which you can never get off.
> It doesn't matter if it's true or false. You've been reported. And, if you
> should decide to run for office or start a child-care facility--Uh Ohh.
> Sorry.

Florida is not the only state with these type of laws. Missouri law
requires that every phone call to the child abuse hotline be investigated
and the file is made a matter of public record for 10 years, even if you
were exonerated.

Example: My neighbor child abuse because one of my 'genius' children
threw an egg at her window. She told the worker that she believed only an
abused child would exhibit this behavior. The caseworker agreed that it
was a frivolous call but I now have a record. I will have to pay an
attorney to have it expunged at the end of the 10 years. I could
have a problem if a potential employer saw the record, I still have
5 years to go.

Has anyone else had to deal with this and how did you in reference
to employers?

Kim V.record