Re[2]: Icons

Subject: Re[2]: Icons
From: Rob Marriage <rmarriage -at- DETECTIONSYS -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 1 May 1997 09:09:35 -0500

Claire LaForce wrote:

>Rob--what an interesting last name(bet you've heard that one
before).<

Actually it's pretty common in my family!

>First, does does Caution and/or Danger refer to physical danger to
the user, or danger of some sort to the machine/equiptment. There's a
big difference in the strength of the warning needed, obviously as
well as the clarity of what kind of danger to avoid.<

Well, I was using some standard definitions I found in a tech writing
manual, which I'll summarize as follows:

WARNING: if you don't do what we tell you to do, you'll hurt yourself.
CAUTION: if you don't do what we tell you to do, you'll break the
unit.
NOTE: here's a rule of thumb or an exception to the rule.

Your hairdryer example probably won't work for us because we want to
come up with a few standard icons that we can use for all our
documentation. We generally sell our equipment to dealers who have
trained personnel installing it, so I think consistency between
documents may be more valuable than descriptive, context-specific
icons. Of course, then there's that whole international issue...

I guess I'm a little surprised. I expected my inbox (or is that "in-box"? --
whoops, different thread) to fill up with replys like "see page x of this manual
for samples." Does this mean that the folks at ISO HQ and STC HQ haven't
dictated this to us yet?

Rob