Re: Hot to Trot Places

Subject: Re: Hot to Trot Places
From: Melonie Holliman <mrh -at- ABMDATA -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 1997 09:25:07 +0000

Howdy, Yall:

There is a reason Austin is called Silicon Hills (and, yes, I
have heard it called Silicon Gulch before). We are getting
more and more high tech jobs in the area. Which means, of
course, lots of tech writing jobs.

A year or two ago, Austin was voted one of the best places
to live (somewhere in the top ten) in the U.S. I am not
sure that is so true now that we have had a BIG influx
of people. If you like water sports and mild winters, can
take the heat, enjoy live music, and don't have alergies it is
a great place to live. Austin has a weird combination of conservative
and liberal, bubbas and dilberts, country and jazz; it's Texas with
an artsy flare. In my opinion, the best of both worlds. (There are
some who consider it the worst of both -- take what you like
and leave the rest).

With all this talk about hot places, does anyone else get the
impression it's just plain nice to have a profession that is
so much in demand?

Thanks,

Melonie Holliman
The Tech Writer