Value of documentation

Subject: Value of documentation
From: David Castro <techwrtr -at- CRL -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 1997 13:13:34 -0700

Documentation may have helped our company land our biggest contract, ever.
Our VP of R&D was entertaining potential clients from a company that owns
28 hospitals (we write software for hospitals). These people were also
visiting our competition. Our VP had to figure out how to show that our
program wasn't just "vaporware," as our competition's is. Being the
champion of documentation that he is, he instantly thought of showing them
our hard copy and online help. He pointed out: you can't have complete
documentation on vaporware! And it was true. The competition's
documentation was either minimal or non-existant. We are now their
"preferred provider," or some such title.

(The VP told this story at a meeting of all the R&D people, which really
improved our standing, which was already pretty high!)

-David Castro
techwrtr -at- crl -dot- com