Re: permanent jobs in DC area?

Subject: Re: permanent jobs in DC area?
From: Don Smith <dsmith -at- ACCESSBEYOND -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 1997 15:42:28 EST

"So whaddya say, guys? What do DC-area tech writers think? What have
others heard? And what about the feasibility of working as a
contractor?

Thanks!

Melissa Hunter-Kilmer"

O.K., Melissa, here is what I know.

I have been a technical writer since 1978 in the Washington, D.C.
area. I worked part-time before that during the summers when I was
teaching electronics.

Since I have been writing full-time (not counting authoring books or
magazine articles), I have been out of work a number of times. Usually
because I wanted to change, but occasionally due to "reductions in
force". It is sometimes difficult to find work here as an Electronics
type of tech writer, but there is usually work here!

The thing I have noticed here is that companies (that would usually
have work for me) are very concerned about what you know
*electronically*, as well as your knowledge and experience in tech
writing.

One thing which suprised me is that from a writers standpoint, it is
kind of a "family". That is, after while you get to know of, have
worked with, or have had some dealings with, many writers and you find
that you often know a writer or the writing manager as you look for a
new job, more often that you might think. If you screw up, it may be
O.K., but don't let that screw up be in your relations with other
writers or employers. I am talking about being unprofessional.

I personally would not be any more concerned about coming to the
Washington, D.C. area for work then any other place in the USA.
Perhaps less concerned.

Hope this is of some help to you, Melissa.

Cordially,

Don Smith
Sr. Tech Writer
Access Beyond, Inc.