Typos and Quality

Subject: Typos and Quality
From: "Lisa A. Miller" <lisamil -at- ZEUS -dot- ANET-STL -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 1997 14:01:28 -0500

Mike wrote (not speaking for anyone but himself)
But I agree that jumping all over a job posting as a writing sample is not
a good idea. Writers are supposed to work for people who aren't as good at
writing. Kind of like most professions, except maybe barbers and dentists.
If everybody know how to write well, I'd have to get a real job.

**********************Reply***********

I think typos in a job posting may be an indication of poor internal review
processes. It seems to me that even the HR department should have checks
and balances to ensure that the company's image isn't tarnished by poor
representation. Typos tell me that a company may be disorganized or poorly
managed because quality assurance isn't a high priority.

I didn't pay attention to the original post, but your comments caught my
eye. Mike's right, not all people are good writers, but a team can do
anything. If the business is good one everyone will be working together to
achieve quality.

Brief story -

I worked at a company that had NO processes. I saw a flyer that our sales
staff was giving out to clients which listed our branch offices. Phoenix
(Pheonix) was misspelled. NO ONE caught it. The damage was done. When I
saw it, after I had left, all I could do was laugh and thank the gods I had
already found another place to work.

my 2 cents

Lisa Miller
lisamil -at- anet-stl -dot- com