H-V Electrical Distribution Systems

Subject: H-V Electrical Distribution Systems
From: TIMMERMAN <timmerma -at- IPDLINK -dot- IPD -dot- ANL -dot- GOV>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 1997 13:43:43 CST

Hi All,

Today seems pretty slow for everything, including this list, so I
decided to take a break and see what you know.

Background: I'm writing the procedures for a high-voltage
distribution system (138 kV and 13.2 kV lines), which includes
transformer stations, switching stations, and lines and feeders. You
might think of this system as one that feeds a small city of about
5000 people that include commercial, scientific, industrial, and
residential users. These procedures include a system description,
descriptions of controls, maintenance and testing procedures,
operating procedures, alarm response procedures, and emergency
procedures. My technical resources include AutoCAD files (one-line
and three-line diagrams, switchgear elevations, and etc.) and linemen.

Problem: Vendor and manufacturer's literature is not available. So,
what I learn is from talking to the linemen (whom very seldom have
time to talk with me), and from reading the AutoCAD drawings. What I
need is a reference or text book that describes what all the devices
are and how they work. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Don Timmerman, dtimmerman -at- anl -dot- gov

"If you don't have fun at work, don't go to work." D. Timmerman