Re: Doc for multiple interfaces

Subject: Re: Doc for multiple interfaces
From: Diane Burke <dburke -at- RIGEL -dot- TYDAC -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 1997 23:51:59 +0000

Hi,

Charles Fisher wrote:
>What we need help with is how to show screen
>images with
>respect to these different interface flavors. Do we
>
> Produce a separate doc for each style of screen?
> Produce one doc that includes all styles of screens?
> Pick one style of screen and produce doc using it, not showing
>others?
> Produce doc that does not have any screen images?

The software I write for is available on Windows, UNIX and OS/2
and so this challenge has come up several times. Here are some
thoughts:

1. Producing a separate doc for each interface can be very easy
if you are using FrameMaker. You can use the CONDITIONAL TEXT
command on the SPECIAL menu to maintain multiple versions within one
document by hiding or displaying specified portions. This command
can be applied to graphics and screen grabs as well as text.

2. What interface is used by the greatest percentage of your
client base. You may wish to produce a doc slanted in that
direction.

3. Insert an appropriate disclaimer. For example:

"The illustrations for the XX interface are used throughout for
demonstration purposes, but dialogue box components
and functionality remain essentially the same regardless of the
interface."

4. Use both a screen image and accompanying written
description/instructions. If the image does not directly apply
to the user, the text will.

--
Diane Burke
TYDAC Research Inc.

613-226-5525, Ext. 202
dburke -at- tydac -dot- com

"The human mind, once stretched to a new idea,
never goes back to its original dimensions."
-- Oliver Wendell Holmes