Re: JOB POSTING: Technical Marketing Writer

Subject: Re: JOB POSTING: Technical Marketing Writer
From: Phillip Wilkerson <phillipw -at- ALLENSYSGROUP -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 1997 10:28:38 -0400

John Gough <gough -at- AUSTIN -dot- ASC -dot- SLB -dot- COM> said:

> On the less cynical (or shall we say experienced) side of the
> question, a good performer in technical writing is one that
> produces good quality manuals quickly with a minimum of handholding
> from management, other tech writers, and other members of the
> technical team.

Double ditto.

I would add that a top performer has self-confidence and a professional
attitude as well--going the extra mile to produce a quality publication on
time and within budget. If the extra mile means working 60+ hours, then the
top performer GETS THE JOB DONE RIGHT without being a whining clock
watcher.

In my experience (12 years tech writing and 3 years tech pub dept.
management), top performers rarely work overtime, because they tend to be
confident, organized writers and meticulous planners, experienced with the
many contingencies in document writing and production. A top performer can
have a project finished in the same amount of time the plodding writer
takes figuring out how to get started.

Hmmm. Think I'll ask specifically for a Top Performer the next time I post
a job listing to Techwr-l.

Phillip C. Wilkerson
Technical Communications Manager
Allen Systems Group, Inc.