Writing vs. editing

Subject: Writing vs. editing
From: "Jody R. Lorig" <jlorig -at- KAVOURAS -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 1997 09:40:42 +0000

Some time ago I read an article that spoke of different writing
methods and dealing with writer's block. The first method spoke of
correcting and polishing the writing as you went. The other method
mentioned was "bulldosing".

With the polishing, the writer often gets caught up in details and
loses the major direction of thought that the writing is pursuing,
resulting in writer's block.

The bulldosing method stressed doing the writing now, without fixing
typos or changing the sentence in any way. These items would be taken
care of during the rewriting or editing cycles.

It is my opinion that any piece of documentation that is going to be
used needs to cover all of the things that a program or piece of
machinery can do. During the initial writing, I try to list as many
items as I can think of that relate to the item being written about,
and then go back to fill in details.

If you find yourself getting stuck on minute details, just jot a note
to check on this further at a later time and continue pushing
forward.

I think this shows that, as others have pointed out, writing and
editing may both be necessary, but they are done differently. They
also need to be done at different times.