Re: Editing, Smediting

Subject: Re: Editing, Smediting
From: Elna Tymes <etymes -at- LTS -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 1997 10:37:51 -0700

Lisa --

Long ago I realized that I was typo-disabled. I can look right at them
and not see typos. I also have a tough time with some kinds of editing
where I wrote the original -- taking a verbal explanation into bullet
points, for instance, is my latest cross to bear.

What I learned is that, like housekeeping, while I may be *responsible*
for getting it done, I don't necessarily have to *do* it. After I've
used the spellcheckers (and grammar checkers in more advanced versions
of word processing software), I can hire (or trade services with)
someone who isn't typo-disabled and does editing willingly and well.
I've also learned the incredible value of having a "naive reader" go
through anything I've created, paying attention to details that don't
make sense, inconsistencies, etc.

The bottom line is that my documents get "fresh eyes" and I benefit by
knowing that it's been gone over by someone else.

Elna Tymes
Los Trancos Systems