Online Document Review and Control

Subject: Online Document Review and Control
From: Bill Bledsoe <Bill -dot- Bledsoe -at- CMS-STL -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 1997 11:14:22 -0500

Gang,

Need some input from some of you that are doing online document
review/approval in your companies. We are starting to move our intranet
to phase two (we started out with a handful of helpful home pages, but
now want to integrate it into our business processes more) and this
seems to be a bit of a stickler for us.

We are ISO 9001 certified, and regulated by the FDA in the US, as well
as other regulatory agencies world wide (hence the 9001 certification).
Those of you familiar with 9001 and FDA know that we have to be able to
reproduce records of approval anywhere in our design process oor quality
system within a relatively short time. With our paper based system...
this is getting very difficult. We want to move this to our intranet,
but we need to know more about the specifics of doing the following:

* electronic signatures
* electronic red-lining/editing
* version control

In particular... I'm looking for information on tools and techniques
that are in place or under development... not really interested in "this
should work in theory" type info... but some more "meaty" stuff.

We are a cross platform environment... and dedicated to staying that
way. We also have a variety of computing levels to contend with. Very
few will be able to operate DTP software as complicated as an Interleaf
or Framemaker. MSWORD is our standard word processor... and will be for
a while. The tech pubs group uses Frame... but more and more we're
moving all documentation to HTML.

So... I welcome thoughts from this bright group. I know some of you are
doing this type of thing... we have some ideas... but specifics would
help most. The tricky thing we see is storing the records of the
"electronic signatures" but...

thanks in advance!
Bill Bledsoe
Senior Technical Writer - CMS
Bill -dot- Bledsoe -at- cms-stl -dot- com or intlidox -at- anet-stl -dot- com

"I'm out on a limb where the fun begins"
Adrian Belew/The Bears