Re: Editorial Latitude

Subject: Re: Editorial Latitude
From: Robert Plamondon <robert -at- PLAMONDON -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 1997 08:27:42 -0700

I take it that this was your first magazine article.

Periodicals are put together at a blinding pace, with all articles
rudely edited and then savagely chopped to fit the space available.
I prefer to think of magazine editors as highly skilled surgeons
who use axes instead of scalpels. The results aren't great, but
they're pretty good, considering the constraints.

I have never yet had an article appear in undamaged form in a
magazine. Nor have I ever seen a trade publication or newspaper
run a story on a product I was intimitely familiar with without
introducing serious factual errors (unless they decided to run a
press release verbatim).

Periodicals are a messy, shoot-from-the-hip business, and if they
only made you look half a fool, you're doing as well as can be
expected.

-- Robert

--
Robert Plamondon, High-Tech Technical Writing, Inc.
robert -at- plamondon -dot- com * (541) 453-5841 * Fax: (541) 453-4139