Re[2]: 21" monitors and stuff

Subject: Re[2]: 21" monitors and stuff
From: Kathleen Padova <kpadova -at- ASICENTRAL -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 1997 14:02:00 -0500

I walked over to our production manager to ask how she justified a 21"
monitor. She merely pointed to her screen. On one half of her screen
she had a Quark file open that she was editing. On the other side she
was monitoring a batch process and had MS Access open so she could
edit information in a database as she was making changes to the Quark
file. Sounds like improved efficiency to me.

I have a 21" monitor so I can have my word processing application and
the application I am documenting open at the same time.

Kathleen
kpadova -at- millstar -dot- com

Subject: Re: 21" monitors and stuff
Author: ROBERT -at- SMTP (Robert Plamondon) {robert -at- PLAMONDON -dot- COM} at MHS
Date: 4/9/97 7:30 AM

People doing serious, graphics-intensive work have always used
big monitors. For the last 15 years or so, all systems designed
for high productivity with graphics-intensive work have had monitors
in the 19-22" range. Small monitors are for games; big monitors
are for work. The little monitors (14-17") are an evolutionary
anomaly of the IBM PC branch of the business, which clung to
tiny color monitors longer than anyone else because it clung
to 80x25 text-only applications longer than anyone else. I would
think that the burden of proof would lie on management, which
should be able to demonstrate that the big-monitor standard for
professional graphics work is somehow inoperative in your case.

-- Robert

--
Robert Plamondon, High-Tech Technical Writing, Inc.
robert -at- plamondon -dot- com * (541) 453-5841 * Fax: (541) 453-4139