Re: Questions about Word 7 (asked by Brian Martin)

Subject: Re: Questions about Word 7 (asked by Brian Martin)
From: Steve Fouts <stefou -at- ESKIMO -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 1997 07:29:22 -0700

Terry Freedman wrote:

>2. Web page creation is very good indeed: graphics and other elements are
>automatically saved correctly if you sekect the Save As HTML file option.

Amazing. I won't let Word anywhere close to my HTML because it hashes it
so badly. It puts in all kinds of proprietary Microsoft Internet Explorer
only tags, it tries to hard code all the point sizes, it puts all sorts
of soft returns and nonbreaking spaces in bizarre places, what it does
to tables makes me shiver... I could go on and on and on.

Worse, even if you go in and fix the HTML manually, Word will screw it up
just as bad or worse next time you save it.

It is dreadful! Dreadful! Go with a real HTML editor. Front Page 97 is
pretty well behaved. AOL Press is pretty good and free.