Re: Salary Requirements

Subject: Re: Salary Requirements
From: Maury <alsacien -at- IBM -dot- NET>
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 1997 08:20:00 -0700

I've followed some of the comments regarding salary requirements. I find
this to be THE thorny issue for a technical writer negotiating for a
position. Prices fluctuate so widely from one location to the next, and
it seems that some companies are just looking for slave labor.

Back in February, a Florida-based company was negotiating with me for a
position that offered $80K up front. An Arizona-based company told
everyone asking for more than $40K to take a hike, and that was in spite
of the fact that the cost of living in that location was considerably
higher. Everywhere I hear the same story: "What is your salary
requirement?" It's almost like answering a riddle to the Sphinx; you
know that the wrong answer will be the death of your candidacy.

I'm ignoring the shoddy business practices that I've encountered, which
are pretty appalling. Just recently, I've had two companies come at me
with considerable enthusiasm, only to retreat into a void, and no matter
how I try to make contact to see if my candidacy was terminated or if
the positions are on hold -- both valid answers -- I am met with
stoniest silence, and that after I was asked to travel long distances to
finalize negotiations!

There doesn't seem to be any formal protocol or standard for job
seeking. I've found the experience exhausting. It makes me want to
continue as a contractor only, because at least if I can get the job
done, I'm in, whereas to be accepted to a company as a salaried worker
has meant dealing with the most capricious elements of corporate
bureaucracy.

- Maurice King