Usability: Tutorial *chapter* or *manual*

Subject: Usability: Tutorial *chapter* or *manual*
From: "Misti Tucker USAET(UTC -04:00)" <mtucker2 -at- E-MAIL -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 1997 19:44:06 EDT

Sue Heim asks:
So, forget about the cost difference. If you had your choice, would
you prefer to have a 500 page manual that includes ONE WHOLE CHAPTER
on learning the program that is 150 pages long? Or would you prefer
to have a separate "Learning" booklet (likely saddle-stitched, btw)
and a separate user's guide?

I would prefer the separate tutorial, broken down into 20 minute exercises
if that's possible. Another excellent idea I've run across is to put a page
reference in the tutuorial pointing the user to the section in the manual
that discusses the topic at hand in more detail.

Misti Tucker
Technical Communication mta -at- cyberspace -dot- org (h)
& Help System Design mtucker2 -at- e-mail -dot- com (w)