Career: Foreign Language Letters of Reference

Subject: Career: Foreign Language Letters of Reference
From: Chris Stone <kinoko -at- SHIZUOKANET -dot- OR -dot- JP>
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 1997 22:30:55 +1000

Greetings fellow list readers --

After 10 years in Japan, I'm moving back to the San Francisco Bay Area
where I hope to find work as a technical writer. In preparation for the job
search I'm getting my resume, portfolio, and web site in order. I am
concerned, however, about my references. While I have a couple of good
references in the States, my best ones are here in Japan. The problem is
that in most cases I'll only be able to get letters of reference written in
Japanese.

I'm wondering how an interviewer would want to handle this. These are the
possibilities as I see them:

1. I provide my own English translation with the Japanese letter.
2. I get some kind of certified translation done and submit that.
3. I submit the Japanese letters and take for granted that the interviewer
will
have the translation done or even have an interpreter phone the reference
writer in Japan.

Perhaps someone could tell me if any of these are realistic or give me
other comments or advice. Big thanks in advance!

Chris Stone

cjstone -at- twics -dot- com (preferred)
kinoko -at- shizuokanet -dot- or -dot- jp

http://www.twics.com/~cjstone
(under construction)