Web Server & Documents

Subject: Web Server & Documents
From: Folse Kate <folsek -at- BSCC -dot- BLS -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 1997 10:30:00 EST

Hi there-

Does anyone have any insight on creating/distributing documents
for distribution on a web server? I have just been assigned to research
the feasibility
and figure out how to use the inter/intranet as a means of document
development and distribution.

We are in the process of developing several web-based applications that
will require
documentation in the form of help, user guides, and release notes. The
plan is to have
a dedicated webserver that will house the applications and all documents.
As of
this moment, there will be no hardcopy documentation. (I don't know how
good
of an idea that is, but that is another discussion entirely.)

I realize I have a lot of possibilities and options b/c no prior docs
exist. Should I
create docs in Word/Frame and convert them? or should I start out just
creating HTML?
In either case, which tools are best for that on a PC? In a past life I
used FrameMaker/
WebMaker to accomplish doc conversion on a unix platform and was not too
thrilled
with the results, but that could have been a result of the source docs.

The tool that the developers are using is Microsoft Visual InterDev. I
managed
to install it and a demo/tutorial to try and get the hang of it. As a
development tool,
it seems really overwhelming to me and would greatly appreciate it if any
one
out there has used it and could offer some guidance on that too.

TIA!
--kate
* Kate Folse
* Technical Writer