Re: Summary: "The dialog box appears"

Subject: Re: Summary: "The dialog box appears"
From: "Richard J. Collins" <writejob -at- DNAI -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 1997 19:10:55 -0800

Hi Mike,
The standard justification I have seen used for preferring the present
tense is that technical writing is a branch of scientific writing and in
scientific writing the present is preferred. It is easier to keep
relationships clear if you "normalize" everything. For example, in an
astronomy book you will read something like "the moon revolves around the
earth" not "the moon will revolve around the earth". Unless you have a
pointed reason to go off into the future, processes are always better
understood if everything is couched in terms of the present.

Science writing goes back several thousand years so one does not discard
that tradition lightly. It must be that our minds are wired to make it
easier to assimilate knowledge of processes more easily if everthing
happens in the present.

My 2-bits.

Rich. Collins

----------
> From: Mike Starr <writstar -at- WI -dot- NET>
> To: TECHWR-L -at- LISTSERV -dot- OKSTATE -dot- EDU
> Subject: Re: Summary: "The dialog box appears"
> Date: Wednesday, April 02, 1997 9:06 AM
>
> I sent this reply direct to Geoff H and he suggested I post it to the
list.
> I access the newsgroup because it conserves my email bandwidth but forget
> that if I post to the newsgroup, it doesn't automatically get mirrored to
> the list. (duhhh).

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=