Home Alone...and glad of it

Subject: Home Alone...and glad of it
From: Alexander Von_obert <avobert -at- TWH -dot- MSN -dot- SUB -dot- ORG>
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 1997 12:18:08 +0100

Hello Judyth,

* Antwort auf eine Nachricht von Judyth Mermelstein an All am 31.03.97

JM> From: Judyth Mermelstein

JM> Speaking from Montreal, smoking capital of North America, and
JM> with a Gitanes
JM> tucked firmly in the corner of my mouth, I say "amen". There's
JM> no way I can stand to work in non-smoking premises.

teleworking could be a way for us to cooperate. My home, including my home
office, is a snoke-free zone :-)

JM> Where I do want to be is where I can set up my
JM> work area for my own comfort, not the corporate culture.

...and get rid of most of the child's play called "company politics".

JM> keyboards and monitors at the right height for me, not some
JM> standard-issue work area set up for the "average man" who is
JM> eight inches taller than I am.

...or eight inches smaller than I am (at 1.94 m).

JM> About 80% of the work I do can be done on my XT or Powerbook
JM> anyway: the
JM> actual writing, editing or translation work is done better in
JM> plain text than
JM> where software problems and formatting issues keep interrupting
JM> the work.

I donated it to someone who needed it more, but I had a laptop which happened
to be a 8088/9 MHz with 1 MB of RAM and NO hard disk (but two floppy drives).
I could still imagine to do productive work on it using MS-Word 4.0.

JM> The mental-health benefits of working for myself are terrific:

I cannot agree more!

JM> * if I what I'm working on bores me, it'll be over next week
JM> anyhow.

There was hardly any customer in my eight years of free work where I would be
happy as an employee.

JM> Who in this decade has guaranteed job security anyway?

Especially if you work on your own you must be more flexible. But you do not
depend on the politics of a single company.

Gretings from Germany,
Alexander

--
Alexander von Obert, Urbanstr. 2, 90480 Nuernberg, Germany
Free-lance Technical Writer (electronics, software)