Printing an incomplete manual

Subject: Printing an incomplete manual
From: Melonie Holliman <mrh -at- ABMDATA -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 1997 09:39:40 -0600

Howdy, Yall:

I am in a quandry. I wondered if anyone else has experienced
this. I am the only technical writer working for a small
company producing a database which will be used by mostly
computer illiterate individuals. Our software is changing
daily. However, I have been asked to provide a "Limited
Edition" manual which will be printed soon. The manual
will be outdated almost as soon as it leaves the office.

In the past, this company provided manuals long after
completing the software; they really want to change
this by providing a manual with the software. I agree
with this. I plan on providing an updated version of
the manual (in help format) regularly as we continue to
adjust and enhance the software.

Has anyone tried this? What were the results? How did users
react? Is this likely to discourage further use of the manual?
Is this just part of developing software (my first run at
version 1 of a software)?

Thank you for the assistance,

Melonie Holliman
The Tech Writer