Re: novelist wannabes--Amy Tan

Subject: Re: novelist wannabes--Amy Tan
From: Sella Rush <SellaR -at- APPTECHSYS -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 1997 15:34:34 -0800

Oddly enough, I'd never even heard about tech writing (as a profession)
until I read a profile of Amy Tan--you've heard of her?<g> Apparently
before publishing her first best-selling novel, she was a very
successful technical writer (she may still be for all I know) in
California. Anyone ever work with her? She's a great novelist--was she
also a good tech writer?

I actually have heard of other managers who refuse to hire novelists or
people with outside writing interests (I may have heard it here), but
other cases were on the basis of wanting someone without an outside
life--who wanted to be a tech writer until the end of time...realistic,
huh?

But I've never heard Doreen's position before. Doreen, you might check
in to another thread--creativity and tech writing--to see what people
are saying about how the two concepts work together. Maybe the problem
is you're looking at inexperienced writers--most novice writers
(including me in the early years) treat their prose like a newborn baby,
they think it's the most beautiful infant in the universe and they get
really uptight if everyone doesn't agree with them--wholeheartedly (for
writers there's also an element of insecurity in that they don't really
know if its good, just that they created it and therefore has value.)
Good writers--those who grow in their skills--lose this attitude pretty
quickly.

By the way, I'm with Mike H.--thanks for saving me a stamp, Doreen, and
rest assured you won't have to circular file a resume from me. Let me
know if you change your mind :-)