Advice on Tech writing jobs

Subject: Advice on Tech writing jobs
From: lj wright <lwrigh00 -at- NIMBUS -dot- OCIS -dot- TEMPLE -dot- EDU>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 1997 15:18:25 -0500

I recently found this group and have been avidly reading in the
background. I have learned alot from reading the mail, but I have a
question.

First let me tell you a little about my background. I originally
studied Journalism about 15 years ago in college. I was unable to
complete my degree at that time. Started back about 3 years ago as a
part timer. but changed my Major to Business. Will not get my undergrad
for
about 3 or 4 more years.

I have worked as a Project Manager, coordinator, inventory analyst, and
am currently working in Technical Support. In the past two years I have
written several newsletters, ISO procedures, currently do a bi-monthly
tip sheet, and have 3 sets of user docs that I am rewriting and writing.
I am familiar with HTML, and a broad variety of software from Adobe
products, database products, and the usual word processors and
spreadsheets etc.

I realize now that I want to focus on Technical Writing. What is an
employer looking for in a Technical Writer?
and
Do I qualify as a Tech Writer? I think I do, but I have a difficult time
reflecting that on my resume, mainly because writing has not been the
main focus of my jobs.
Also, how important is that undergrad degree - does it count that I am
working on it?

Ok, so its more than one question :) :)

Advice would be appreciated.

Linda Wright