Response: Techies know what techies want

Subject: Response: Techies know what techies want
From: Sella Rush <SellaR -at- APPTECHSYS -dot- COM>
Date: Sun, 30 Mar 1997 16:33:34 -0800

A week or so ago I posted a note about my frustrations with a senior
programmer who often says that other programmers will know what he means
(or that he's giving them what they want). It got lots of very
interesting responses, mostly telling me to stand my ground and tell the
programmer to program--not write.

I just wanted to thank everyone for their responses. My situation (in a
tiny division in a small company where everyone wears 20 hats) makes it
difficult to use job demarcations as a confrontational issue. Also,
confrontation of any kind is not workable here--team work is vital.
Plus, the guy wasn't quite as bad as I seem to have made him out to
be--he is a programmer and he is in charge, and he enjoys it!--but he
does accept a lot of my organizational suggestions.

Interestingly, I actually was hoping for answers to a very specific
question: responding to that one particular arguement of his. The
situation: find out for myself what *our* techies want and establish
common ground to discuss it with him. Simple, huh! In the abstract,
yes, practically, no--it involves getting access to our clients, which
seems to be a universally threatening thing to do. To begin with,
however, I need to take a hard look at my knowledge of technical
terminology and see where I can improve--maybe the real trouble is that
I haven't proven myself in this area yet.

So off I go to build my technical knowledge...see post entitled
"technical noun stacks."

Thanks again!