Re: Creativity in Technical Communications

Subject: Re: Creativity in Technical Communications
From: Chris Hargens <ldmr -at- CRUZIO -dot- COM>
Date: Sat, 29 Mar 1997 11:58:32 -0600

Michelle Corbin Nichols wrote:

> If you want to see my own attempts at sonnets, and won't think
>negatively about my technical writing abilities because of them, check out:
>http://users.vnet.net/catdrag/michelle/poetry.html .... a list of my
>sonnets are near the top. I like "Lonliness" the best....

Your post suggests some questions: Is it common for technical
writers to write "creative" work--fiction, poetry, personal essays, and so
on? Can the practice of technical writing--here I mean something like eight
hours a day five days a week--inhibit "creative" writing? More
specifically, does the technical writer who aspires to write fiction, let's
say, find herself at the end of an eight hour day just too enmeshed in the
protocols of techical writing to think fiction? Or just too (verbally)
exhausted?

Chris Hargens