Slamming Coda -- two closing thoughts

Subject: Slamming Coda -- two closing thoughts
From: "Eric J. Ray" <ejray -at- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 1997 06:07:53 -0700

First -- most important -- I'd like to remind
all of you, particularly the ones who tend to
jump into borderline confrontational postures,
that all postings to this list are archived.
Permanently. Additionally, services like
DejaNews and AltaVista allow quick and
easy searches of newsgroup postings, including
those from TECHWR-L.

I've heard from several technical communication
hiring managers that they now routinely check
candidates and include or exclude partially
based on the postings. I do know that there are
some list members that I'd hire immediately
based solely on list postings. However, there are
others who'd have a tough row to hoe to get
hired as a result of list behavior (most of them aren't
on the list anymore).

Just FYI. Some days the list feels like a private
club, but it isn't.

Second topic:
After reviewing Michelle's latest post -- about the
perception of slamming resulting from multiple
posts saying essentially the same thing -- I do
have one strong suggestion to make. If someone
posts something that's "wrong", do NOT immediately
post a correction. Read the rest of the mail from the
list, wait a couple of hours, then, if no other posts
with essentially the same content have appeared,
THEN post your correction.

For example, if I post a message stating that
Frame does not run on Windows 95 (false),
just wait. If a clarification (from me or someone else)
hasn't appeared in a few hours, then correct it.
Possibly off-line, if you want.

Thanks!
Eric