Re: Creative writing vs. Tech writing

Subject: Re: Creative writing vs. Tech writing
From: Melonie Holliman <mrh -at- ABMDATA -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 1997 07:45:14 -0600

Howdy, Yall:

I tell you what, there is less difference between creative
writing and technical writing than I once thought. I do
both: stories for fun, manuals to eat.

I am writing a story about pioneering a new planet. Geez,
do you know how much research this involves? I have to
know about weather, climate, farming, husbandry, home
remedies, geology, and MORE! I spend more time researching
than writing.

In my last review at work, my boss called me an "investigative
reporter". That really says it all. I am a journalist doing
a story on a software. It really takes alot of imagination
some days to find the information and get it into a readable
form.

If you consider "artistic" creativity, I do page layout and
some marketing pieces. And creating an interactive help file
which keeps a user interested REALLY takes creativity.

I like using this combination of the left and right sides
of my brain, the analytical and the creative. That is why
I enjoy both technical writing and creative writing.

Melonie Holliman
The Technical Writer
ABM Data Systems, Inc.
Austin, Texas