Re: Click to add

Subject: Re: Click to add
From: Brad Barnes <kiwi -at- BEST -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 1997 22:34:55 -0800

Geoff:

I agree with you. The rule I follow is to try to maintain a logical and
sequential flow in imperative instructions. "To do X, click Y" is one
approach I use. The other approach I use, in a similar vein, is to orient
the user, but only when necessary. I orient the user when the screen changes
or a new window opens.

From the ABC window, click Y.

I do make exception when I need to orient and use the dependent infinitive
clause:

To do X, click Y from the ABC window.

I detest imperative instructions that state things in a convoluted, reversed
order. An example of such:

Choose Rename from the File menu to rename your file. <Yuck!>

Brad Barnes
Technical Writer
Resumix Inc.
brad -at- resumix -dot- com