Need studies on why help is needed?

Subject: Need studies on why help is needed?
From: Ann MacDonald <annm -at- CSDC -dot- TOSHIBA -dot- COM -dot- AU>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 1997 15:11:37 --1000

I am currently doing a Masters project in Information and need
some help in finding empirical studies that show
that users of software have gaps in their knowledge
when they use it, (the software) which need to be filled.

This is often a manual, online help etc. but it could be
anything. I need to be able to justify producing an info product
because that is what the user needs and will seek out. I can
find studies that show how to produce effective help etc, but not
much on why online help should be produced at all.

If anyone knows of any studies that could be useful could
they please point me in the right direction.
Thanks
Ann MacDonald