Re: Creativity or Humor

Subject: Re: Creativity or Humor
From: Gurudutt Kamath/Technical Writing Centre <guruk -at- GIASBM01 -dot- VSNL -dot- NET -dot- IN>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 1997 07:56:04 +0530

Hello all

On Wed, 26 Mar 1997, Barry House wrote:

> A novice and possibly timid audience can use
> a little humor to ease their fear; a more seasoned audience usually wants
> just the facts.

Maybe, cartoons and humour may be necessary for a seasoned audience to
pick up your manual (unless they really need to read the manual anyway).

> Nearly a decade ago, I was working on a manual that included a glossary of
> terms. The programming staff insisted on the following definition for
> "infinite loop": See Infinite Loop.
>
> I really don't remember the reaction of management during the review of that
> one.

Once in a print job, I goofed up and left a page blank. This would have
meant reprinting the entire set. I thought of saving the situation by
marking the page "THIS PAGE UNINTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK!" The Chief
Executive, an ex-IBMer, did not appreciate this and I re-did it. I learnt
a valuable lesson -- one of the several I learnt from this wonderful CE.

Guru

guruk -at- giasbm01 -dot- vsnl -dot- net -dot- in
http://members.tripod.com/~Kamath