[no subject]

From: "Wing, Michael J" <mjwing -at- INGR -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 1997 17:25:08 -0600

Steven;

Aren't you the same guy that responded to the statement . . . .

"My greatest weakness is that I don't suffer fools gladly. Alas, that
may apply to the preson who asked this question."

with the remark . . .

"It is obvious to me that this individual has a hard time facing himself
each morning." ?

Who also made these comments?

"This is beginning to get very trite. One day of moaning and groaning is
fine. 2-3 days of griping is ridiculous. Let us get over it and get on
with our lives. Some of these topics of discussion are ridiculous.
Furthermore, why does everyone think what they have to say is so
important that it must be posted to the list. Enough is Enough."

My point is that almost anyone can be pulled into the heat of the
discussion. Believe me, this list at its most acerbic is mild compared
to many other forums. That doesn't make personal attacks acceptable,
but it does show the amount of restraint that is present here. The
flame wars here seem to be the exception more than the rule.

Not all flames are personal attacks. The ones that are obviously
personal attacks (usually the ones about intelligence, hygiene, or
ancestry) are a sign that the person with whom you are in disagreement
is losing the discussion and is desperate. Consider each of these
flames as a point for your side ;^).

Some flames are a zealous support of a contrasting view. Often the
recipient views an attack on their ideas as an attack on them. Thus,
they consider all contrasting viewpoints as personal attacks.

Electronic communication works both ways. Yes, it does allow a person
to become a sniper. It also removes the formalities and intimidation
that is inherent with face-to-face. What do I do if I want to attack
someone's ideas face-to-face, only they are quite a bit bigger than me,
ill-tempered, and not of the resolve to differentiate between an attack
on their ideas and an attack on them? E-mail and newsgroups are a great
equalizer. If I disagree with them, they can't hover over me, give me
the look, crack their knuckles, and so forth in attempt to intimidate
me. They must articulate.

The electronic medium is wide open to flames and attacks. However, the
same shield that electronic communication provides for you to express
your ideas without intimidation also extends to any pariah with an
Internet connection. Most flames burn out if not fed or fanned.

Mike Wing

INTERGRAPH