Re: Creativity in Technical Communications

Subject: Re: Creativity in Technical Communications
From: "Wayne J. Douglass" <wayned -at- VERITY -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 1997 13:47:43 -0800

At 12:38 PM 3/26/97 -0800, Tony Rocco wrote:
>Nonsense, Wayne, with all due respect. You're falling into the same
>trap that Rachel is by thinking of creativity in narrow terms. Yes,
>there is much that is done in tried and true fashion in technical
>writing and that requires no original thought, but that fact hardly
>means there are no opportunities to think of innovative ways to
>organize material or describe or illustrate a concept. You seem to
>think that just because you can't be Woody Allen or Ann Liebowitz in
>your computer manuals that you can't exercise any creative thought.
>

>Shear nonsense, Wayne, with all due respect.

With no less respect, Tony, since I made no allusion to humor in my post, it
is sheer impertinence to assume that I am a frustrated "Woody Allen or Ann
Liebowitz" (you must mean Fran, by the way, not Annie, who is a
photographer). That seems to be *your* hangup, judging by your previous
reply to Rachael.

I'll repeat my original point: it's a hard enough job ferreting out
information, getting it right, explaining it clearly, and meeting deadlines
without worrying about "creativity," however that is defined. If I do
anything "innovative" along the way, I tend to regard it as part of the job.

--Wayne Douglass