Re: click to add

Subject: Re: click to add
From: Stephen Victor <svictor -at- HOUSTON -dot- GEOQUEST -dot- SLB -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 1997 13:27:24 -0600

Steven Warren wrote:

> This is an interesting point because there are two standards.
> One would include Microsoft standards of To do x, click x. This
> is universal through microsoft documentation. Then again I've always
> been taught to write in active voice (click x, to do x)
>
> I feel the writer can go either way.

I don't want to resurrect the old "passive vs. active voice" debate,
really I don't, but I simply must point out that "To do x, click x" is
not in passive voice. "To do x, click x" and "Click x, to do x" say
exactly the same thing in somewhat different ways. Both sentences are in
active voice, imperative mood. The (slight) distinction you make is one
of syntax, not of voice.

Regards,
Steve
--
Stephen P. Victor Phone: (713) 513-2552
Technical Writer, Software Training Fax: (713) 513-2019