Re: Printed & Online Manual, and Help

Subject: Re: Printed & Online Manual, and Help
From: Mitch Berg <mberg -at- IS -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 1997 08:35:34 -0600

> I am starting a new project in a week or so and part of the requirement
> is to have an online manual, a printed manual, and online help from a
> single source document. We are a service company and customers will use
> our web site extensively to place orders, maintain accounts, etc.

I personally recommend the following, if you can come up with the budget:
1) Write and maintain the material in FrameMaker. You can export
Frame dox to HTML, RTF or Acrobat formats very easily.
2) Use the Frame source to produce Acrobat and HTML
3) Use the RTF exported from Frame to produce the WinHelp files.

The neat thing is that Acrobat, RTF (I think) and HTML (using Frame 5's
HTML) converter (or, better yet, WebWorks Publisher) will all preserve
Frame Tables of Contents, Indices, Cross References and Frame Hypertext as
links in the appropriate format.

I've been doing more or less the exact same thing for some time, except
I've not been converting from Frame => RTF => WinHelp. But I'm told it's
doable.

Let me know if you have any questions.
.