Re: Lifespan of Technical Writing

Subject: Re: Lifespan of Technical Writing
From: Robert Plamondon <robert -at- PLAMONDON -dot- COM>
Date: Sat, 22 Mar 1997 18:39:31 PST

Unless something's horribly wrong, much of your original manual will
survive years of product updates.

To see how far this can go, read Benjamin Spock's INFANT AND CHILD CARE
(or whatever its name is -- I don't have it in my office). In spite
of allegedly having been carefully edited, it's full of anachronisms
from at least forty years ago. For example, he mentions using
steam vaporizers for children with colds, and suggests that you
buy a model that holds at least a quart, and to be careful with glass
models. Only a quart? Glass reservoirs? I've never seen such things.

He also mentions glass baby bottles as something not to buy. While
you can get pre-mixed formula in 4-oz. glass bottles (if you look
hard enough), I'll bet you can't find traditional 10-oz. glass baby
bottles anywhere but in an antique shop.

The rule I was taught is, simply: "Technical writing lasts forever."

-- Robert
--
Robert Plamondon, High-Tech Technical Writing, Inc.
robert -at- plamondon -dot- com * (541) 453-5841 * Fax: (541) 453-4139