Re: Fair wage

Subject: Re: Fair wage
From: Jane Bergen <janeb -at- ANSWERSOFT -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 1997 09:47:29 +0000

On 13 Mar 97 at 14:15, Bruce Brill wrote:

> I need to know (for purposes of salary determination):
>
> How much is 15 years technical (but not user's-manual) writing
> experience as an independent alternative energy engineer
> (with an MSc) worth
> in terms of technical writing experience in a computer
> software firm. Of course, you may respond privately, since this
> might not be of general interest. Thanks for your responses. --bruce
> brill

I'm replying to the list because I think it may be of interest to
all..

Unless the engineer (you?) is also a fine writer and unless he/she
knows something about software development, the engineer should be
only entry-level. Just because someone has a technical background,
does not give the person any kind of leg up as a technical writer. In
fact, it may hinder the person's writing in some areas.

Jane Bergen

"my opinions are my own..."
Jane Bergen, Technical Writer
janeb -at- answersoft -dot- com