Re: Newsl article re:copyright

Subject: Re: Newsl article re:copyright
From: "Walker, Arlen P" <Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- JCI -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 1997 08:18:45 -0500

Besides, I believe that most copyright laws tend to deal with
comerical ventures or profit making activities.

Look, I realize the pay ain't much, but tech writing *is* a profit-making
activity. ;{>}

If an instructor wants to make 20 photocopies for a class, I think
copyright hassels are an invasion of a basic right to desiminate
information freely.

Surely you can't be serious. (Yes he is. And don't call him Shirley.) There
is not, nor has there ever been, a right to disseminate information freely.
The right of free speech does not imply the right of intellectual theft. I
am, of course, free to write down what I know, in my own words, and
disseminate it. That does *not* give me the right to disseminate what *you*
know, written in *your* words.

However, it would be a different matter if an instructor made 20
unauthorized copies of a book .

That seems like a highly arbitrary distinction. I suppose, then, if the
instructor made a copy of every page but one or two it would be completely
all right?

Most of what I write I want to be of use and so once its written, I
don't worry too much about it. However, if I wrote a novel or a poem,
I would be outraged by someone else "stealing" it.

But you just said we all had a right to freely distribute information. Or
do you mean that right only applies to information not created by you?

I raised this issue in the first place because I think its a gray
area that needs some discussion.

I don't see any grey at all. The words are mine; anyone wanting to
redistribute them should have the common decency to ask first. Perhaps I'll
care; perhaps I won't. But you can bet I'll care if you do it without
asking.

Knowledge is a wonderful thing; we all can own the exact same chunk of it
and still not deplete the supply. But the expression of that knowledge is a
personal thing; what I write and how I write it is as much a part of me as
my blood. Sure, you only want a few drops of it and I'll not feel the loss.
But you'd still better ask me before taking it.

Have fun,
Arlen
DNRC 224