C++ Need to Know (was Prosaic Prose)

Subject: C++ Need to Know (was Prosaic Prose)
From: "Susan W. Gallagher" <sgallagher -at- EXPERSOFT -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 1997 12:10:33 -0800

At 11:28 AM 3/6/97 -0500, Shorter Rankin wrote:
>reading job postings for tech writers. When I get down to the
>requirements section I see C/C++ often and then I am pretty
>uncomfortable. What level of proficiency in C/C++ are the prospective
>employers actually asking for? Do they want the tech writer to have the
>ability to write commercial grade C/C++ programs or do they want the
>applicant to be able to discuss this code in an informed way with the
>SME? It seems to me there is a world of difference here.

Depends on the job. If you'll be documenting a programming language
or programmer's tool, you'll probably need to at least read the code.
If you're working on end-user apps, they may want you just to know
the capabilities. OTOH, they may want you to go in and edit dialog
boxes and error messages -- and in a programming language like
Visual C++, you don't need to know how to code to do that.

>I guess what I'm saying is if the tech writer can write commercial grade
>programs then why isn't he/she looking for a job as a programmer rather
>than a tech writer?

Now, *that's* a totally different question! I know how to balance a
checkbook, but I've been a bookkeeper and I didn't like it. I also
know how to program in several different languages, but I prefer
explaining them to using them. Hey! It's a dirty job, but sumbuddy's
gotta do it! ;-)

Sue Gallagher
sgallagher -at- expersoft -dot- com
-- The _Guide_ is definitive.