Re: Test Scripts

Subject: Re: Test Scripts
From: Bob Bench <BoBB -at- SLC -dot- TWC -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 1997 09:32:17 -0700

Sarah Perrault as for suggestions on writing test scripts.

A lot of books are available on software testing. I can't
summarize everything, but I'll try to point you in the right
direction. I worked for a quality assurance organization for
11 years. We tested hardware and software.

The general idea is that it would take several lifetimes to
completely test any software product. Therefore, testing has
to be selective. You should ensure that the main functions
work the way they are supposed to, and then focus on
the areas where you are most likely to find errors. Do limits
testing to ensure that the most extreme input values allowed
are handled correctly. You should also do a lot of exception
testing to make sure the software can handle different kinds
of errors. Try to guess what kinds of errors users are
likely to make. You should also try some weird, unlikely
errors if there is time.

The scripts should just be explicit procedures that can be
carried out by someone who is not a software engineer.

Bob Bench
Technical Writer
Northwest Pipeline Corp.
Salt Lake City, Utah