Re: Binders vs. Books

Subject: Re: Binders vs. Books
From: jsokohl -at- CAMPBELLSOFT -dot- COM
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 1997 09:21:33 -0600

I weigh in heavily _against_ binders...mostly because I consider the
design a throwback to the '80s. Also, there are usability &
connotative objections to binders, esp. 9x12 (inch) ones--most people
don't have desk space sufficient to use them.

Perfect-bound books do have usability issues (can't lay flat easily,
unless you use "lay-flat" binding, which is even more expensive).
That's why we settled on wire-o binding. Books lay flat, yet they're
bound. Being bound provides permanence and a sense of authority to me,
while binders imply that the documentation's less "real" (these are
aesthetic judgments of mine, not researched results). Anyway, the 7x9
(or 7x8.5) inch design seems to work. Also, I like having our
documentation simulate (to a certain physical space degree) or evoke
"commercial" doc--so many people now have computers in their homes as
well as work areas that they're used to some form of paper
documentation appearing.

Long ramble to say I'd vote against binders. And I'd vote against
change bars. And our motto here is, "Use point pages (38.1, 38.2,
38.3, etc.), go to jail--it's the law!"

joe
Joe Sokohl
Manager of Documentation