Java and ActiveX

Subject: Java and ActiveX
From: Gillian McGarvey <gmcgarv -at- OVID -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 1997 10:10:37 -0400

To: techwr-l @ listserv.okstate.edu
cc:

I'm sure most of us are aware of the Java "vs." Active X debate. Many of
us are already having to decide between NetHelp and HTMLHelp. The emphasis
on the web as a software (and help) distribution medium will only
increase.
I've recently done some research on these technologies and have discovered
the following sites. I urge everyone to arm yourselves with technical
facts about these "competing" technologies and especially about security
issues. Let us not be swept away by popular opinion or marketing might!
:-)

If these articles/sites aren't of interest to you personally, you might be
able to pass them along to the appropriate tech teams in your org. I'm
sure web software development is a hot issue in many companies. Enjoy!

http://www.cs.princeton.edu/sip/java-faq.html
Princeton University Safe Internet Programming Team's Java Security FAQ

http://www-swiss.ai.mit.edu/~jbank/javapaper/javapaper.html
Article on Java Security

http://www.zdnet.com/intweek/daily/970110b.html
Article: "Netscape eases Java Security in Communicator"

http://www.javasoft.com/nav/whatis/
Sun Microsystems' "What is Java" page

http://www.info-nation.com/java.html
Short article: "What is Java?"

http://pathfinder.com/@@OsYzQQQAFnPBCY2L/fortune/1996/961111/sun.html
Fortune Magazine's article: "Sun's Java: The Threat to Microsoft is Real."

Gillian McGarvey
gmcgarv -at- ovid -dot- com