Re: software for a newbie

Subject: Re: software for a newbie
From: Jeanette Feldhousen <jeanette_feldhousen -at- MENTORG -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 1997 14:28:37 -0800

A really easy way to find out what employers want is to look in the want ads.
But having just been in the job market, I can tell you about the software
companies were interested in from my experience.

FrameMaker seemed to be the dominant tool. I think I saw one job where they
wanted Interleaf, and in several they used MS Word. Companies are interested
in people who know how to produce PDF files. They also seem to want some
sort of experience with online help tools, and I saw RoboHelp mentioned.
Some companies are interested in HTML knowledge.

I saw a range of operating systems: some companies wanted UNIX,
some wanted Windows 95 or NT. I don't remember seeing a req for Mac
knowledge (which doesn't mean that those jobs aren't out there). I found it
very helpful to know something about several different operating systems.

I guess if I had to pick one tool that probably opened some doors it was
FrameMaker--I remember thinking that I was really glad that I had been using
it, because so many jobs required it.

--Jeanette