Re: Shockwave anyone?

Subject: Re: Shockwave anyone?
From: Stephen Victor <svictor -at- HOUSTON -dot- GEOQUEST -dot- SLB -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 1997 10:53:07 -0600

d r wrote:

> My 9 year old came from school with something he and the boys were into:
> Shockwave. He said "It's technical!"
>
> Supposedly, it is educational? Teaches many things? Well, I tried
> finding it on the Internet and was surprised that many of the sites need
> special software to view >and< there isn't any follow-up information as
> to who runs these companies. Although some of the titles appear harmless.
> Are they?

Shockwave is a multimedia development tool. As such it's
morally/ethically neutral (you seem to be worried that your son might be
using it for something inappropriate for a nine year old). It could be
used to develop anything from a grade school educational program
to...well, I suppose something you might not want your son to see. So
don't worry about Shockwave any more than you'd worry about Word, for
example.

Macromedia, the maker of Shockwave, has also developed a web browser
plugin that lets you view Shockwave presentations on the web. Try
http://www.macromedia.com

Good luck,
Steve
--
Stephen P. Victor Phone: (713) 513-2552
Technical Writer, Software Training Fax: (713) 513-2019