Re: Home pages and resumes

Subject: Re: Home pages and resumes
From: "Huber, Mike" <mrhuber -at- SOFTWARE -dot- ROCKWELL -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 1997 11:08:56 -0600

I guess I don't have a problem with that. Not including my home page as
a professional reference isn't a matter of hiding something shameful,
but a matter of presenting the appropriate material. I don't include my
web page, my telephone notes, postcards, assignments from creative
writing classes, etc. It's not that I'm hiding these materials, it's
that they are not appropriate to the portfolio.
A prospective employer who would dig for personal information, find
something less than professional (but neither illegal, nor, by normal
standards, immoral or shameful) in my personal life, and hold that
against me professionally is not someone I want to work for. I hate to
admit it in public, but sometimes the pillow talk in my bedroom is not
correctly punctuated. On the other hand, there is nothing on my page I
wouldn't want my aunts to read, because they (and my mom) do read it.
Perhaps if my page were a bit riskier, I would have a different
attitude. I'm sure that there is information out there, if you look hard
enough, that presents me in a worse light than my web page does.