Re: Typuz n Wrezms

Subject: Re: Typuz n Wrezms
From: Robert Plamondon <robert -at- PLAMONDON -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 1997 07:49:50 PST

Theodora Mazza writes:

>I fidgeted in my seat long enough. I gotta go for the podium.

>If as a tech writer you can't write a perfect one (ok, two) page resume, how
>can you write a nearly-perfect brochure, manual,etc.? If you can't present
>yourself well enough in front of me, how well can you represent me in front of
>my clients?

What makes you think these are rhetorical questions?

Let me turn this around: If I can write a perfect resume, then I
can write a perfect brochure, and thus no one needs to edit or proofread
my work. If I can write a few perfect pages, one can easily prove by
induction that I can write any number of perfect pages, and thus there
is no reason for proofreaders and copy-editors to exist. Right?

Yet the publishing industry has always assumed that all work (no matter
how short or how long) needs to be edited and proofread. Some of this
work is even more "important" than a resume, yet the writers do not
seem to be able to be pressed into perfection by the weight of their
burden.

Either you or the publishing industry is making a fundamental error on
how error-free documents are created.

-- Robert
--
Robert Plamondon, High-Tech Technical Writing, Inc.
robert -at- plamondon -dot- com * (541) 453-5841 * Fax: (541) 453-4139